Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dear Doctor …

… I am not amused at how you have been silently amused about my request to get my bloodwork done.

Has that happened to anyone of you? I finally decided to bite the bullet and get my HDL and LDL, as well as tryglycerides and the other indicators checked. What I did not expect was the sarcasm I could sense from the doc.

I mean, yes, I am not yet old, yes, I am not overweight, and yes, I do not have disposition for heart desease but does that mean I shouldn´t check if everything is OK?

Especially since 2 years back I remember my blood work showing increased cholesterol levels (and then they did test for LDL and HDL).

I had to literally convince the doc to get my blood work checked (in Germany a lot of stuff is paid for through insurance, so sometimes doctors will give you a hard time for anything extra).

Finally I was able to get an appointment for next week, and he will only check total cholesterol levels. Upon mentioning that I was actually interested in HDL and LDL as well as some of the other indicators, he simply told me that he will only have those tested if my total cholesterol is very high (since “total cholesterol already tells you if everything is fine”).

Thanks a lot, doc. I will get my blood test done and then never again visit your office. (I miss my old family doctor who retired a couple of years back Trauriges Smiley). If you won´t do something, please tell me sincerely, don´t talk to me as if I am a fool or something.

Anyhow, in order to finish this post positively, here are some of the things I ate the past week:

IMG_20120529_163750IMG_20120531_182944
IMG_20120605_124557

No comments:

Post a Comment