Thursday, May 10, 2012

A salad fresh from my garden …

 A couple of nights ago, I was able to harvest not only reddishes from my garden, but also a few leaves of lettuce.

IMG_20120509_174942

The light green leaves at the top of the pile are the actual lettuce, the darker ones below belong to the reddish plants.

Anyhow, looking at that big pile of leaves, I started thinking how people always tend to throw out the green portion of the reddishes and wondered why.

I mean, from taking care of the garden, I experienced myself that the reddish leaves can sting a little (but not even enough to be painful). Looking this up on the internet, I found out that there are actually quite a few recipes using cooked reddish leaves meaning that at least they are edible.

Anyhow, I decided to try one of the leaves and they do have a very distinct taste similar to what the reddish root taste like. Since the leave tasted relatively good, I then decided to just go ahaid and make a salad using them.

I just washed them well, and made sure that my dressing was distributed well to make sure, my salad wouldn´t fight back with stinging sensations while eating it.

IMG_20120509_180940

Look how pretty the salad looks on the plate. And most of the ingredients came from my garden.
The next time I harvest some of my reddishes, I will probably try out a reddish soup and see how that turns out.

IMG_20120509_181004

My salad tasted quite good, and I learned that sometimes I should think twice before throwing something out believing it is not edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment