Sunday, April 29, 2012

I made ice cream …

… and I made it without an ice cream machine. The whole process took me 2 days (I kind of forgot the ice cream in the freezer), but the result was pretty good. Although I still feel like my recipe needs some improvement, I´ll share with you all what I have for now:

IMG_20120429_160636

Homemade Primal Berry Ice Cream 
(no ice cream maker needed)

Ingredients:
- 2 – 3 cups of berries
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 6 ounces of heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp of Honey

Here is what you do:
- Puree berries in a mixer
- Add coconut milk and heavy cream
- Mix until everything is smooth
- Pour into a lockable container and put into the freezer
- Stir very well every 30 to 45 minutes (at some point this should get you a nice ice cream)

IMG_20120429_160337

Since the day I made the ice cream was beautiful, I went into the city in the late afternoon, and forgot about my creation until the next morning. At that point I had a frozen something that I still wanted to save somehow. So I took the mixer, slowly added bits and pieces of the frozen ice cream with some whipped cream ( maybe 3 – 4 Tbsp. total) and another 2 Tbsp of coconut milk and mixed everything until I had a smooth consistency again.

At that point, my ice cream returned to the freezer for another 2 hours (I went in 3 times to stir). And finally, after a loooong time, my berry ice cream was ready to be eaten.

We had it with banana slices, whipped cream and grated hazelnuts. The ice cream was very good, but I think I might have to see what happens when I don´t forget it in the freezer. The consistency was close but not quite where I wanted it to be.

But who am I to complain about homemade ice cream. We finished the entire pot in less than 10 minutes, and at some point I will try this again (with a few tweaks).

IMG_20120429_160636
IMG_20120429_160641
IMG_20120429_160646

No comments:

Post a Comment