Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Budget-Paleo: Seasonal Veggies in March

I have realized fairly quickly, that eating paleo is not necessarily the cheapest way to nourish your body. Therefore, I have started to think about what I can do to reduce the monetary burden on this type of diet. 

So, what did I come up with? Obviously the obvious - using mainly veggies and fruits that are in season.

Hallelujah for having come up with such a breathtaking new idea.

But without kidding further: There really is some savings to be achieved, when creating a weekly meal plan and by focusing our grocery shopping on seasonal items. And I think another very important factor for this savings to occur, is to actually KNOW what is in season. So I figured, I would create a list every month, with pretty pictures of everything, so that I have those in mind when planning my food and weekly menu. 

March Veggies
   
Perennial Celery           Mushrooms                 Chicory
Staudenselleriechampignons-weisschicory

Chinese Cabbage          Kohlrabi                      Carrots
     (Bok Choy)
ChinakohlKohlrabiMöhren
  
     Leeks                 Red Beets                        Red Cabbage
LeekRote Beeterotkohl

White Cabbage         Savoy Cabbage           Spinach
 WeißkohlWirsingSpinat
         
          Reddishes      Ramson/Wild Garlic     Dandelions
RadieschenBärlauchLöwenzahn

Just looking at all of these options I am excited to cook up some delicious meals this month.
How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment