Thursday, March 1, 2012

Paleo Challenge Day 11 and Coconut-Veggie Stir-Fry

Today is day 11 of my paleo challenge and I am still feeling great. My family is starting to realize how my skin is changing for the better. Since my early adolescence I have suffered from low iron and sported that corresponding anemic and pale facial skin. Every once in a while I would get iron supplements but I am very good at forgetting to take those, so the results could be seen on my skin a lot.

I am happy to tell you, that my family keeps mentioning how much better my skin looks like and how much more color I have now. And I am realizing too that my skin looks many times better and healthier. Talk about a good side effect of changing your nutrition!

Here is today´s menu:

Breakfast
Honey Melon with Smoked Ham and Sunflower Seeds

Lunch
Meatballs, Salad with Tomatos and Onions; leftover Veggie Soup

IMG_20120301_122843

Snack
Carrots

Dinner
Veggie Stir-Fry (Scallion, Peppers, Zucchini, Carrots) in Coconut “Sauce”; leftover Meatballs; Organic Vegetable Juice

IMG_20120301_182611

And here is how I created this last dish:

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 Green Bell Peppers
1 Zucchini
2 Scallions
2 Carrots
1 handfull of coconut flakes
6 – 7 ounces Coconut Milk
Salt, Pepper, Paprika Spice, Thyme, Oregano

Instructions
1. Cut all the veggies into small pieces

IMG_20120301_180335
(I decided on adding the carrots only after everything was in the pan already)

2. Use coconot oil or butter to start frying your veggies

IMG_20120301_180432

3. Add spices, coconut flakes and stir in the coconut milk.

IMG_20120301_181655

4. Stir until well dissolved. Taste for additional seasoning.

5. Serve with meat or other leftovers.

IMG_20120301_182600

I used to not like coconut for most of my life, which only changed about 3 years ago. Now I like fresh coconuts but coconut creations only to some extent. Today I bought organic coconut milk and was very positively surprised from how much more tasty and nutty this one tasted in comparison to the ones I have tried the last two weeks.

You can definitely tell a difference, and I know that with coconut milk I will stay with the organic version.

Using the organic coconut milk gave my veggies a subtle but delicious coconut flavor and I will be making this again with any veggie leftovers.

Maybe you will also give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment